The Impact a Gratitude Journal Can Make in Your Life
A gratitude journal is where you write or record, and reflect on the daily things you are thankful for. Starting a gratitude journal can have so many positive affects in your life. A famous research study by the University of Minnesota and the University of Florida, had participants write a list of positive things that happened at the end of their day, and why these events made them happy. As a result, this study showed lower stress-levels, and gave participants a greater sense of peace and calmness at night.
It can be a challenge to incorporate and maintain a journal, but it is completely worth the peace of mind and serenity it brings to your life in the long-run. The key is consistency, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. With time, you may even find yourself writing down more than you initially thought.
Benefits of Having a Gratitude Journal
The benefits to starting a gratitude journal are endless and can have the ability to transform your whole mindset. Some key benefits include:
- Less stress
- Feeling calm and at peace with yourself
- Having a new outlook of what you really appreciate in your life
- Gaining clarity on what makes you happy versus what doesn’t make you happy
- Helps you learn more about yourself
- Helps you become more self-aware
- Finding self-love
- And on days when you are feeling down, you can read back and remember all the great things/people in your life to readjust your mindset.
Tips on How to Use a Gratitude Journal
- Set a dedicated time aside during the day that feels right for you – either 10-15 minutes to write in your journal and reflect. You can even set an alarm or reminder in your calendar to keep yourself accountable.
- Nighttime can be a great time to reflect on all the things you are grateful for that day – You can keep your journal next to your bedside so you can remember to write in it. It can also become a symbolic reminder of appreciation every time you look at it, whether in the morning or at night, you can remember to be grateful every day you look at it.
- Jot down as much gratitude as you feel – That is the beauty of it, you don’t have to set a strict amount. We recommend finding 3-10 things you are grateful for as a good target.
- It doesn’t have to be too deep – You can simply write about your family, a new show you have been watching, or an opportunity that has presented itself to you.
- Write when it feels right – Although nighttime is a great time to reflect, you can write whenever it feels best for you. Sometimes, the best things just come naturally at any time in the day.
In life there is so much to be grateful for and recognizing it is the first step in creating a healthier and more stress-free life. A famous quote by spiritual teacher, Eckhart Tolle once said “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance”.
If you are inspired to start a gratitude journal, let us know how it made you feel in the comments! We would love to hear your feedback and whether you think it made a difference in your life.
Tune into our Rising and Thriving with Armida Radio Show
Join us on Wednesdays at 5pm for our new radio show, Rising and Thriving with Armida. We will be opening up the telephone lines at Worcester Unity Radio Station WUTY where expert life coach, Armida Abreu Martinez will give live one-on-one relationship guidance to YOU! We encourage you to call in during the show every Wednesday from 5PM - 6PM at 508-471-5265. All callers can remain anonymous.